Students to open wallets for bowl game

Missouri students might have to consider selling an arm, two kidneys and their soul if they want to finance a trip to the Holiday Bowl.

With Missouri accepting a bid to the San Diego-based bowl, some students have ruled out the option of going to the game because of the great distance. Others are more optimistic about the trip.

"I know some people would have preferred the bowl to be in Texas, but I think students will still find a way to be in San Diego," said senior Brad London.

Of all the expenses for a trip to the Holiday Bowl, tickets to the game will be the least of students' worries if they plan to attend the game. Ticket prices range from $25 for tickets behind the end zone to $36 for seats elsewhere in the stadium.

The problem with student tickets, however, will be their limited availability. MU has been allotted 11,900 tickets (10,800 at the $36 level and 1,100 at $25), of which 20 percent has been set aside for students. Peter Fields, director of business affairs for the Athletic Department, said if the university sells all of its tickets, it has an option to purchase more.

The Hearnes Center ticket office still is accepting orders for tickets.

"Phones are ringing, but they're not backed up," Fields said.

Students who already ordered tickets can pick them up Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. at the Hearnes Center ticket office.

While game tickets will be affordable, deals with the devil might be madewhen it is time to purchase transportation and hotel rooms.

A San Diego Holiday Inn quoted nightly rates for a double room at $89.

Trans World Airlines quoted a round-trip ticket from St. Louis on Dec. 24 and returning on Dec. 29 at $266. A Kansas City flight is $324.

For some, missing the Christmas holiday for cheaper rates is not an option.

In the attempt to alleviate the travel problems for students, the MU Student Life Department has planned a Holiday Bowl trip. The trip from Dec. 27-30 includes a ticket to the game, hotel (quad occupancy) for three nights, and charter flight from Columbia to San Diego, local transportation to and from the game, airport and spirit rally, Dec. 27-29. Meals and personal local transportation costs are not included.

All MU students with a valid student ID are eligible for the program.

The total cost of the trip is $627 and can be paid by MU student charge, cash, check or credit card.

A simpler package consisting of airfare from Columbia Regional Airport to San Diego also can be arranged through Student Life for flights leaving Dec. 27 and returning Dec. 30. Those flights run $465.

To sign up, call 882-4640 or stop by the box office in Brady Commons.

Despite all the possible problems and expenses, London said MU fans who really want to go will be at the game.

"Students who are truly dedicated to Mizzou sports will find a way, whether it may be by air, rail, bus or car," London said.