Swimming coach Hoffer gets 100th victory

After watching both the men's and the women's teams pick up victories on Saturday, swimming coach Brian Hoffer reached a landmark by scoring his 99th, 100th and 101st victories.

Hoffer, in his ninth year at MU, has an overall record of 101-81 after the men's team defeated Truman State by a score of 67-19 and topped Northern Iowa by a 78-7 margin. The women's team beat Northern Iowa by a mark of 76-9 and dropped its meet to Truman State, 52-43.

Dausman denied fifth year of eligibility

MU wide receiver John Dausman saw his career come to an end Friday when the NCAA Subcommittee for Student-Athlete Reinstatement denied his appeal for a fifth year of eligibility. Dausman filed for the fifth year based on a medical hardship after blowing out his knee in 2000 against Nebraska. Dausman played just 14 games in a Missouri uniform.

"Missouri had worked very hard on this appeal with John Dausman and the NCAA," MU Athletics Director Mike Alden said.

After practicing just three times at Northwest Missouri State in 1996, Dausman transferred to MU, where he walked on in the spring using a year of eligibility. He played only two games in 1997 and was a special teams player in 1998. On the fourth day of fall practices in 1999, Dausman injured his knee and missed the season. He played in only four games this season before going down against Nebraska.

Wrestlers lose in Virginia Dual Tournament

By losing two meets, the MU wrestling team was eliminated from the Virginia Dual Tournament on Saturday. After losing to Central Michigan by a score of 22-9, the Tigers entered the consolation bracket, in which they lost to Cal State-Bakersfield. The Tigers defeated Cal State-Bakersfield 17-15 on Friday but lost by that same score Saturday.

Picking up wins in the Central Michigan dual meet were Jesse Jordan, wrestling in the 157-pound division" Scott Barker, the heavyweight" and John Kopnisky, who grapples in the 174-pound division and is ranked No. 8 in the nation by Intermat Magazine.

In the CSB meet, 141-pound J.P Reese lost to the Roadrunners' Zhon Kuraspediani, whom Reese had defeated the day before. It proved to be the difference in the meet, as the Tigers were out of the tournament after their loss to the Roadrunners.

Tennis team inks Slovenian player

The Missouri tennis team picked up another player on Wednesday when Slovenian national champion Urska Juric joined the Tigers' squad. Juric, a 19-year-old member of the Slovenian National Team and Continental Cup team, is currently ranked No. 2 in her country.

"We saw Urska a couple of years ago at the Orange Bowl Tournament," MU coach Blake Starkey said. "She's very smart and carries that ability over to the court. We're happy she's here."

Juric will be one of four freshmen on the team this season, which opens Jan. 27.