Tigers cruise in Corvette Cup

At home this season, the gymnastics team has been a fearsome beast, scoring at least a 195.0 out of a possible 200 at every meet.

On Sunday in the Corvette Cup the Tigers had their second-highest team score this year with a 195.925. Also competing at the meet were Eastern Michigan (194.6), Texas Woman's University (193.425) and Southeast Missouri State University (191.9).

The Tigers were led by sophomore Alisha Robinson, who won the all-around competition. More important, she said, this was the first meet where she felt close to 100 percent healthy.

"Just getting a full week's worth of practice was the most important thing," Robinson said. "It was also a factor of just having a good day."

Robinson and the Tigers started strong, breaking the team record for the vault for the third consecutive home meet with a mark of 49.2. Robinson scored a 9.9, while freshman Lauren Schwartzman and junior Rachel Bridges each scored a 9.85.

"It's really strange, because that used to be our weakest event," Bridges said.

The Tigers kept their momentum intact by scoring a 49.1 on the uneven bars, led by a 9.85 each from junior Andrea Nervig and freshman Jodie Heinicka, but MU looked to have lost it after three falls on the balance beam.

"Coming off some great vault and uneven bars routines, the team seemed to be a little too pumped," coach Rob Drass said.

The falls cost the Tigers the chance to score above a 49.0 on all four events.

But the Tigers picked their scuffed momentum up off the beam and dusted it off to score a sparkling 49.325 on the floor exercise, the second best mark in team history. Scores of 9.9 by Robinson and Schwartzman were bolstered by a 9.85 routine each from junior Lindsay Davis and sophomore Ashley Asraf. None of the six routines was below a 9.825.

"That's the sign of a strong team, bouncing back and going six-for-six in our routines," Drass said.

MU will compete on the road until it hosts the Big 12 Championships on March 29. The team's next meet is Friday in Ames, Iowa against the Iowa State Cyclones. MU will then travel to Fayetteville, Ark., and Provo, Utah, to take on the University of Arkansas and Brigham Young University to finish the regular season.