Tigers take ugly win over SLU, 73-63

Fouls, fouls, fouls.

The Missouri women's basketball team almost beat itself by committing 22 team fouls Thursday night.

But the Tigers' defense held off Saint Louis University to give MU a 73-63 win at the Hearnes Center.

Despite giving up 23 points from the foul line, the Tigers (6-1) stopped the Billikens' (5-1) comeback by forcing 22 turnovers.

MU jumped to an early 16-0 lead, holding SLU scoreless for the first six minutes of the game.

Amanda Lassiter, who was named the Big 12 Player of the Week on Monday, scored six of her eight first-half points during the stretch. The senior led the team with 20 points and six steals.

After SLU finally got on the board, the Billikens erased the Tigers' lead with a 10-2 run to close within six points.

The Billikens stayed close throughout the rest of the first half by using MU fouls to score 17 of their 31 points off free throws.

MU sophomore Kerensa Barr, who had five points and two steals in the win, said the team relaxed a little too much after the solid start.

"We lost our intensity," Barr said. "We had some different people in there because of fouls, and we just weren't clicking very well. And when that happens, you just have to go to the fundamentals, and we didn't do that."

MU's defense held SLU to just 32 percent shooting from the floor, but the Billikens hit 23 of their 27 free throws to stay in the game.

Missouri, on the other hand, hit only 54 percent of its foul shots, including a dismal 4-for-10 in the first half.

SLU tied the game at 41 early in the second half, but the Tigers were able to take control of the game again as freshman Terianne Wolford hit a three-pointer. MU held off the Billikens behind Lassiter and senior Marlena Williams, who scored eight points each in the final 10 minutes of the game.

MU coach Cindy Stein said the team will have plenty to practice before Saturday's matchup with Southern Illinois, especially with rebounding and foul shots.

"We really didn't execute the things we've been working on in practice," Stein said. "I feel like we took a step back, but at the same time we're still right up there because of the fact we can play this bad and still win."