Tigers try to stay positive

Missouri suffered offensive woes during its loss to Iowa State.
Senior forwards Amanda Hanneman and Marissa Scott defend Iowa State freshman guard Kelsey Bolte as she drives toward the basket Sunday at Mizzou Arena. The Tigers fell to the Cyclones by a final score of 65-39.

The Tigers suffered a 65-39 blowout loss to Iowa State on Sunday at Mizzou Arena, with junior guard RaeShara Brown leading the team with 12 points.

The Tigers suffered one of their worst offensive showings of the season in the first half by shooting 16.7 percent in field goals by converting only five shots of 30 attempted.

At one point, the Tigers were shooting only 11.5 percent from the field. Iowa State freshman forward Chelsea Poppens scored six baskets in the first half, which was more than Missouri made as a team.

"We were flat all day," coach Cindy Stein said. "Sometimes that happens, and we have to rebound. We have to keep fighting."

The team fared no better from beyond the 3-point arc, shooting only 14.3 percent and making one of seven shots attempted. The Tigers didn't hit their first 3-pointer until senior forward Amanda Hanneman hit one with 1:35 left in the first half, and they went into the locker room trailing 39-15.

The Tigers were also out-rebounded 28-10 by the Cyclones, and the 39 total points scored is the lowest for the Tigers this season. The low scoring affair was partially due to Iowa State's defense, which is ranked first in the Big 12 and No. 13 in the nation.

"We're a defensive-minded team," Iowa State coach Bill Fennelly said. "Our team is smart defensively, and we could not have played better."

Fennelly said the game was important to the Cyclones because of their tough upcoming schedule, including a key matchup against Baylor.

"It was a game that was very important to us," Fennelly said. "It was a very positive game for us."

Fennelly also sympathized with the tough spot the Tigers find themselves in.

"You come in and you want to win," Fennelly said. "We had a night like this at Texas A&M, and everyone has games like this. It's the nature of the sport."

Stein said she was not pleased with the lack of energy she thought her team showed.

"We have to have a better start than today," Stein said. "I don't think we took it upon ourselves to motivate ourselves. We hung around in the second half, but we couldn't get over the hump. I was disappointed in our energy."

Stein also said she hopes the Tigers use this as motivation during their final games of the season despite their recent four game losing streak.

"It's been hard during this stretch," Stein said. "We've been close and almost had it. We have to get one."

Senior guard Toy Richbow, who scored five points, said she and her teammates are still looking ahead to the rest of the schedule and will try to forget this game.

"We just try to stay positive and take it one possession at a time," Richbow said. "Being negative gets us nowhere."