Wes Clark scores career-high 22 points in win against Savannah State

Kim Anderson: “Wes (Clark) has done that these last two to three games. It's certainly a big boost to us. I'm glad to see him have success.”
Missouri Tiger guard K.J. Walton (10) blocks the shot of Fighting Illini guard Kendrick Nunn (25) during the 36th annual Braggin' Rights basketball game on Dec. 23 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, MO.

Wes Clark hit a three in front of a home crowd to open the last game of nonconference play. Little did he know he was on his way to a career night.

Just two games prior in the “Braggin’ Rights” game game against Illinois, Clark totaled 21 points, a career high. On Saturday against Savannah State, the 6-foot-0 junior bested that number, scoring 22 points on 9-10 shooting as the Missouri Tigers knocked off the opposing Tigers, 81-50.

"I think every team would like to have that guy who, when stuff isn't working, you can give the ball to them and they can make a play,” coach Kim Anderson said postgame in the news release. “Wes has done that these last two to three games. It's certainly a big boost to us. I'm glad to see him have success.”

In front of 6,037 fans, Clark put on a show but was aided by his teammates. Both freshman guard KJ Walton and sophomore guard Namon Wright added double-digit performances scoring 10 and 11 points, respectively.

Not only did Wright score, but he also added a team-high 8 rebounds. Although this number might seem foreign to some, Wright at 6-foot-4 is the team’s leading rebounder averaging 4.8 per game, something that impressed Anderson.

"I've been playing a little more of the three guard position,” Wright said. “I get to crash the offensive boards a little more. It's all about effort and staying cognizant.”

Anderson added: “He's a guy who's a really good rebounder. He has worked hard to get better defensively and to get better with the ball. His passing is better. He has expanded his game from a year ago. I think a year ago we would all say Namon was a shooter. Now he can take the ball to the basket.”

Missouri’s early success from the field led to a 41-25 halftime lead, and with their play in the second half, Mizzou emerged with the victory.

Last year at this point, Missouri boasted a 6-7 record. This year, they’re 7-6. Improvement? One could say that.

“I'm happy that we won seven games and beat everybody on paper that we were supposed to beat — not everybody has done that,” Anderson said. “I'm disappointed though that we didn't win some of those other games that we had a chance to win in. It's a whole new season now."

Missouri will be back in action 6 p.m. Jan. 6 at Georgia to take on the Bulldogs in their SEC opener on the SEC Network.