Williams transfers to Gonzag

The sophomore averaged a team-best 11.9 points per game during the 2014-15 season.
Missouri Tigers forward Johnathan Williams III (3) attempts to block a shot Saturday, Feb. 7, 2015, at the Hearnes Center in Columbia, Mo. The sophomore announced his transfer at the conclusion of the season.

Former Missouri basketball star Johnathan Williams III took to social media Saturday, announcing his transfer to Gonzaga, where he will play for Mark Few and the Bulldogs.

"Thanks for all of the schools that recruited me & after careful consideration, I chosen to further my career at Gonzaga University. I am proud to say I'm a ZAG ! God take the wheel, you're in control!" Williams shared on both Twitter and Instagram on Saturday.

A top-50 recruit in high school, Williams chose Missouri over Tennessee, Michigan State and Georgetown. Making his way from his hometown of Memphis, Tennessee, Williams averaged over 26 minutes per game as a freshman and returned to Columbia as the leading scorer his sophomore year.

The 6-foot-9-inch forward averaged 11.9 points per game and 7.1 rebounds per game his second year as a Tiger, despite a nagging knee injury for a portion of the beginning of the season. He started every game for the Tigers in his tenure at Missouri.

It was announced in late March that Williams would not return to Missouri for his junior season and was released by the school. The forward was considering Michigan State and Georgetown before committing to Gonzaga. Missouri would not let him transfer to any other Southeastern Conference team.

Led by longtime coach Mark Few, the Bulldogs compete in the West Coast Conference. Few has led his team to the conference regular season title 14 straight years and the tournament title in 12 of those 14 seasons.

Last season, the Bulldogs were a seeded at No. 2 in the NCAA tournament, eventually falling to Duke in the Elite Eight.

Gonzaga currently has two rising seniors in the front court ahead of Williams. Due to NCAA transfer rules, Williams will have to sit out a year before taking the floor for the Bulldogs. He will still have two years of eligibility after sitting out.