Women's team falls short of victory twice

The Missouri women's basketball team's Big 12 Conference woes continue.

One game after tromping Kansas State, which had beaten Kansas earlier, the Tigers pulled a 180 and fell 74-62 to the rival Jayhawks on Saturday at the Hearnes Center.

"We beat ourselves," sophomore forward Julie Helm said. "We didn't come out as aggressive in the second half. We made too many mental errors."

The Tigers (9-7, 1-5) suffered just their second loss in nine home games this year. The Jayhawks improved to 11-3 on the year and 3-2 in Big 12 play.

Helm led the Tigers in scoring with 20 points. Junior forward Kesha Bonds also was a heavy contributor, tallying 14 points (including 12 in the second half) and grabbing 12 rebounds for her eighth double-double of the season. Senior guard Debra Williams led the Tigers with eight assists.

The Jayhawks were led by junior guard Suzi Raymont, who ripped Missouri for a career-high 30 points on 9-of-13 shooting, including 3-of-4 from beyond the arc.

"We gave Raymont too many open looks," Helm said.

Kansas' leading scorer, sophomore forward Lynn Pride, poured in 20 for the Jayhawks.

Missouri led 30-28 at the half and had the momentum going when they went into the locker room. But Kansas used a 21-5 run midway through the second half to strip the lead and run away from the Tigers.

"In the second half, they went on a run," MU coach Joann Rutherford said. "We didn't take care of the ball. We didn't step up and make the plays we needed to."

The Jayhawks took full advantage of the 25 Missouri turnovers.

The Tigers' troubles snowballed Tuesday night in Austin, Texas, as they failed once again to win on the road. They dropped their seventh game of the season 53-44 to the Texas Longhorns.

Missouri fell to 1-5 away from home.

Poor shooting haunted the Tigers as they shot just 32 percent from the floor and a dismal 33 percent at the free-throw line.

Bonds was one of the few who showed up for Missouri, leading the team with 18 points and 15 boards to record her ninth double-double of the season.

Helm struggled, hitting a mere seven shots from the floor in 22 attempts for 15 points. The Tigers' leader in free-throw percentage was never sent to the line.

The Tigers will have a chance to break their two-game slump when they take on Iowa State at 3 p.m. Saturday at the Hearnes Center.