Women trounce KU

The best Kansas could do all game against the MU women's basketball team Saturday was a tie. And that was only when it was 0-0. Once the Tigers took the lead, they never relinquished it, cruising to a 73-52 victory for their seventh consecutive win over KU.

"This was definitely not one of our better games," KU coach Marian Washington said. "We were not prepared for tonight."

The Tigers (14-12, 8-7 Big 12) started the game with a 10-0 spurt, scoring all 10 points on lay-ins and shots from within the key. Juniors Stretch James and Melanie Fisher went a combined 5-of-5 shooting during the run. Kansas only added to its own troubles by turning the ball over on four of its first five possessions and ended the game with 25.

After MU took the 10-point lead, the closest KU got was within five points. The Tigers answered by outscoring the Jayhawks 11-4 to close out the first half, leading 34-19. At that point, KU had 14 turnovers and only two assists and was shooting 30.4 percent from the floor. MU had 11 assists and was shooting 48.1 percent.

"We were working for all 40 minutes, which made me proud," MU coach Cindy Stein said of her team, which also shot 6-of-12 three-point shots by halftime, "especially with us making our three-point shots and with our ability to see the open man."

The Tigers were led by a balanced attack, with four players reaching double figures. Senior Kerensa Barr, junior Tracy Lozier and James all shared top scoring honors for MU, as each ended up with 15 points.

Junior MyEsha Perkins was the Tigers' fourth double-figure scorer with 13 points off the bench. Barr led the team with nine rebounds, leaving her one short of a double-double, and had six assists.

"Kerensa should have just taken my one rebound," Lozier said.

Kansas was led by freshman Tamara Ransburg, who scored 17 points and had 13 rebounds. Ransburg said the team's play, and nothing else, was to blame for the performance.

"The crowd wasn't a biggie" it wasn't a hassle," Ransburg said. "It's just about playing."

Waltz had two points in the game.

The Tigers will conclude their Big 12 season at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Hearnes Center against Texas A&M. A win will secure them the sixth seed in the Big 12 Tournament, March 11-15 in Dallas.