Catch up on MU news you missed over break

From banning hoverboards on campus to an announcement on potential new student housing, here’s what happened during winter break.

The Quad covered in snow in February 2014. MU opened for spring semester on Jan. 19, 2016. During the break, Republican lawmakers called for professor Melissa Click's immediate termination.

Lawmakers call for Melissa Click’s dismissal State lawmakers released a letter calling for assistant professor Melissa Click’s immediate dismissal after her actions in campus protests in November. In response, more than 100 MU faculty released a letter supporting Click.

Presidential Search The UM System Board of Curators met Jan. 13 to discuss the logistics and timeline for the search for a new UM System president. They discussed potentially using an open, closed or hybrid model for the search, but they didn’t finalize a decision.

Hoverboard Ban Interim Chancellor Hank Foley announced that self-balancing scooters, also known as hoverboards, are now banned from MU’s campus in an email to students Jan. 8 because of the potential impact on campus safety. The Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating fire hazard and other potential dangers of hoverboards, and Foley said the policy may be modified after the CPSC releases recommendations.

New MSA cabinet members announced Missouri Students Association President and Vice President-elect Haden Gomez and Chris Hanner chose Lydia Ghuman as their new chief inclusivity officer and Kathryn Cua as their new director of student communications. Their announcement comes after Gomez controversially dismissed Riley de Leon and Natalie Edelstein as the Department of Student Communications director and assistant director, respectively.

Abortion services In late December, a federal judge ruled that Planned Parenthood could resume performing medication-induced abortions if it hires a physician with privileges. Due to the lack of privileges at nearby hospitals, the Columbia clinic is still unable to perform abortions.

New student housing Britches Clothing and Quinton’s Bar & Deli could be transformed into a new 10-story student housing complex, according to the Columbia Tribune. A California housing developer submitted their plans to the city earlier this month.