Curators finalize presidential search committee

Stephanie Shonekan, black studies department chairwoman, is one of two UM System faculty members on the committee.

Missouri curator David Steelman claps for interim president Mike Middleton as he finishes his address to the curators on Feb. 4 in Reynolds Alumni Center.

The UM System Board of Curators met Wednesday morning to finalize the members of the search committee for the next UM System president.

The committee includes all six current curators, two faculty members, two students and one staff member, according to an email from UM System spokesman John Fougere. The board currently has three vacancies, and Fougere said any new curators appointed would immediately join the search committee.

Stephanie Shonekan, chairwoman of MU’s black studies department, is the only representative from MU. Shonekan has previously spoken out about social justice issues on campus. Sheilah Clarke-Ekong, associate professor of anthropology at UM-St. Louis, is the other faculty representative.

Rakeem Golden of UM-Kansas City is the only student currently named to the committee. The committee will also include the next student representative to the board, who will be from MU and has not yet been appointed by Gov. Jay Nixon.

Joe Boehm, a building services supervisor at Missouri University of Science and Technology, is the staff representative.

The board also finalized its decision to hold public forums on the presidential search on each of the four UM System campuses during the first week of April. The board has not announced which search model will be used or if public forums with candidates will be held.