First day of semester snow leads to class cancellation

MU has only had 13 snow days in 176 years.

Snow blankets Lowry Mall on Jan. 19, 2016. MU officials announced the cancellation of evening classes due to weather.

MU officials have canceled both classes and activities for the remainder of Tuesday, according a news release sent at 4:40 p.m. An announcement regarding the status of tomorrow’s classes will be made by 5 a.m. tomorrow.

The Student Center, Student Recreation Complex, residential hall dining facilities and select dining facilities in the Student Center will continue to remain open. In addition, MU Health Care hospitals and the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital will also stay open 24/7, according to a news release.

KOMU predicted that 2 to 4 inches of snowfall could be expected in Columbia on Tuesday. Many schools around Columbia closed early in response to the snow, including Moberly Area Community College.

According to the MU Alert website, “The University maintains its teaching, research and service activities in accordance with established schedules and operational demands.”

In the event that campus closes, MU Alert states that “certain essential functions” will always remain open, such as Campus Dining Services, MizzouRec and Ellis Library.

MU cancelled classes for the 13th time in its history last February. According to previous Maneater reporting, snow accumulation reached 5 to 7 inches, which caused road conditions the university deemed dangerous enough to cancel classes.

Campus opened up again the following day and did not close again despite more snowfall later on in the year.

According to MU News Bureau, campus has closed four other times in the past decade: Dec. 1, 2006, Jan. 31 - Feb. 3, 2011, and Feb. 21, 2013.

Edited by Taylor Blatchford | tblatchford@themaneater.com