Webber appointed ranking member of Higher Education Appropriations Committee

The committee discusses issues regarding higher education funding in Missouri.

Portrait of Rep. Stephen Webber. Webber is the new ranking member of the Higher Education Appropriations Committee in the Missouri House of Representatives. Courtesy of Tim Bommel

State Rep. Stephen Webber, D-Columbia, announced Monday he was appointed the ranking member of the Higher Education Appropriations Committee today.

“Higher education drives the economy of mid-Missouri and creates workers ready for the quality middle-class jobs of the 21st century,” Webber said in a news release.

According to the release, the committee considers bills, measures and questions pertaining to the appropriations and disbursements of public money for the funding of the Missouri Department of Higher Education. It is currently chaired by Rep. Donna Lichtenegger, R-Jackson.

“Higher education and job training are the keys to families accessing the middle-class,” Webber said in the release. “We must work to invest in our citizens’ education, keep tuition affordable for families, and ensure the University of Missouri has the necessary funds to continue cutting edge research.”

He was also selected for the Select Committee on Budget, Consumer Affairs Committee and Select Committee on Labor and Industrial Relations.

Webber could not be reached for comment at this time.