What you missed at last week’s Board of Curators meeting

The curators discussed the ongoing presidential search and their desired qualifications for the next UM System president.

The UM System Board of Curators met at Missouri University of Science and Technology last Thursday and Friday for their final scheduled meeting of the 2015–16 school year.

Presidential search qualification statement

Presidential search committee members discussed what they want to see in the next UM System president following open forums for public input that had been held at each of the four system campuses. An understanding of higher education is at the top of the list, as well as communication and relationship-building skills.

Middleton addresses board

In his report to the board, interim UM System President Mike Middleton asked the Board of Curators to engage in difficult conversations and consider the system’s future.

“Each of us who believe in a bright future for this great university must ask ourselves if we’re willing to become comfortable with the uncomfortable,” Middleton said. “Often when we are uncomfortable, it is because we are in the process of learning. This is an important part of advancing our individual and collective growth.”

He also discussed ongoing efforts to improve diversity, including a systemwide task force and a third-party diversity audit of all four UM System campuses.

Academic programs approved

The curators voted to approve the addition of a Master’s of Science program in Applied Behavioral Analysis, which trains behavior analysts on working with people with autism and other neurodevelopmental disorders. The program will be housed in the School of Health Professions and work in collaboration with the College of Education and the Thompson Center for Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disorders.

The board also approved a Bachelor of Arts in Film and Media Arts at UM–Kansas City.

Edited by Nancy Coleman | ncoleman@themaneater.com